TO REGISTER: Click on a class title to get detailed information about that class. Then click the REGISTER link to sign up!
Color key: ORANGE = Haystack Creamery Classroom GREEN = Farm-to-table BLUE = Bootcamp PURPLE = Off-site
- This event has passed.
Cheesemaking Bootcamp Day Three: Advanced Cheeses – 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
January 28 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm$150.00
Join us for one, two, or all three days of this Cheesemaking Bootcamp and receive your Bronze, Silver or Gold Level Certification! You’ll get hands-on experience learning about the tools and techniques used to make a wide variety of beginning, intermediate and advanced level cheeses. Each day we’ll make several different styles of cheese while sampling them along the way, and you’ll take home numerous cheesy creations of your own. You’ll leave knowing the terminology and basic techniques needed to branch off and try other recipes as well. Lunch with wine, coffee and dessert (and lots of cheese!) will be served each day, and we have a few extra activities planned each day as well.
Day One (Jan. 26): Beginner/Intermediate Cheeses 9:00 – 3:00
- Food Safety Overview
- Chevre (fresh and aged)
- Feta: Dry Salted, Marinated and Brined
- Intro to Pressing & Aging
- Cultured Mozzarella
We’ll also have a creamery tour of the Haystack Mountain Cheese Creamery during lunch along with a nice sampling of their award-winning cheeses.
Day Two (Jan. 27): Intermediate Cheeses 9:00 – 3:00
- Food Safety Part 2
- Colby & Jack
- Cheese Presses; waxing a wheel of cheese
- Mold-Ripened Cheeses: Brie, Camembert and Cana de Cabra
We’ll end this day with a tour of Briar Gate Farm, a small local dairy goat farm.
Day Three (Jan. 28): Advanced Cheeses & Aging Techniques 9:00 – 3:00
- Food Safety Part 3
- Cheddar: From Curds to Pressed & Aged
- Affinage Tips, Tools & Techniques: Learn the methods and ingredients need to make Washed Rind cheeses, Blue cheeses, and Alpine (Swiss) cheeses, along with tips for aging including:
- How to set up an aging facility (aka “cheese cave”)
- Ripening boxes & mats, creating “micro climates” in your cheese cave
- Bandaging & Leaf-wrapping
We’ll end this day by taking a field trip to nearby Cheese Importers.
Attend one day of this bootcamp and you’ll receive a Bronze Level Certification; two days get Silver; and attend all three to receive your Gold!
Day Three Only: $150 – Register Here
All Three Days: $395 (save $55) – Register Here
TAKE A CLASS FROM ANYWHERE, ANY TIME
Not close to us, or having scheduling difficulties? Take our online or DVD classes.