TO REGISTER: Click on a class title to get detailed information about that class. Then click the REGISTER link to sign up!
Color key: ORANGE = Haystack Creamery Classroom GREEN = Farm-to-table BLUE = Bootcamp PURPLE = Off-site
- This event has passed.
Cheesemaking in Albuquerque, New Mexico! – 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
June 24 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Join Kate Johnson from The Art of Cheese for these two exciting cheesemaking sessions! Come to either half day session or come to both. This class is designed for adults but well-behaved mature children may also attend (the ticket price is the same).
Here’s what we have planned for the day:
Morning Session: 9:00 am – noon
Cheesemaking 101 – Intro to the Art & Science of Cheesemaking Plus Chevre
- Basic equipment and ingredients
- Milk options and considerations (fresh vs store-bought, raw vs pasteurized, homogenized vs cream-top, organic vs non-organic, local sources, etc.)
- The science behind cheesemaking
- Good recipes to start with
- Resources for ingredients, equipment, and books
- Make a custom-flavored chevre log to eat now or take with you!
Feta 3 Ways: Dry-Salted, Brined & Marinated
- Learn how easy it is to make Feta; ready in as little as 5 days
- We’ll have a hands-on session making a few batches together
- You’ll get to make a small jar of marinated feta to take with you!
Afternoon Session: 1:00 – 4:00 pm
- Whey ricotta vs Whole Milk Ricotta
- We’ll make a batch of ricotta and enjoy it fresh and warm
- Then we’ll whip up a batch of delicious chocolate ricotta mousse to enjoy at the end
Mozzarella & Burrata
- Hands-on fun making an easy and delicious quick mozzarella recipe
- Learn what milks work best and why
- Microwave and hot water/whey bath methods covered
- Stretch (and then eat!) fresh, flavorful warm mozzarella
- Create your very own easy burrata – a tasty stuffed mozzarella treat!
BONUS! 5:00 – 6:00 pm: Wine & Cheese Sampling with Q & A Session with Kate
- Learn how Kate got her start as a cheesemaker and the steps involved in starting and running a cheesemaking school
- Ask more questions about cheesmaking, goatkeeping or running a foodie small business
- Sample delicious cheeses and sip on wine while we chat
- Free for folks who attend one or both cheesemaking sessions; $10 if you didn’t attend a class
Register Here for Morning Session Only – $59
Register Here for Afternoon Session Only – $59
Register Here for Full Day – $99
(Bring a light lunch and we’ll supply lots of cheese and other goodies!)
Register Here for Wine & Cheese Sampling with Q&A Session – $10
(no need to register if you’re coming to one or both cheese classes)
TAKE A CLASS FROM ANYWHERE, ANY TIME
Not close to us, or having scheduling difficulties? Take our online or DVD classes.