Cheesemaking Bootcamp (Intermediate Cheeses) - 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Most of our classes are held in our classroom at the new Haystack Mountain Cheese Creamery at 505 Weaver Park Rd., Suite E, Longmont, CO. These are highlighted in Orange on the calendar.
Some of our classes are held offsite at breweries, restaurants, wineries and farms. These are highlighted in Green.
We also offer multi-day, themed cheesemaking courses and these are highlighted in Blue.
CLICK ON THE CLASS NAME FOR MORE DETAILS AND TO REGISTER!
- This event has passed.
Cheesemaking Bootcamp (Intermediate Cheeses) – 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
August 19 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm$150.00
Join us for one, two, or all three days of this Cheesemaking Bootcamp and receive your Bronze, Silver or Gold Level Certification! You’ll get hands-on experience learning about the tools and techniques used to make a wide variety of beginning, intermediate and advanced level cheeses. Each day we’ll make several different styles of cheese while sampling them along the way, and you’ll take home numerous cheesy creations of your own. You’ll leave knowing the terminology and basic techniques needed to branch off and try other recipes as well. Lunch with wine, coffee and dessert (and lots of cheese!) will be served each day, and we have a few extra activities planned each day as well.
Day One (Aug. 18): Beginner Cheeses 9:00 – 3:00
- Soft Cheeses: Chèvre, Fromage Blanc, Mascarpone & Cottage Cheese
- Feta: Dry Salted, Marinated and Brined
- Mozzarella, Ricotta & Burrata
We’ll also have a creamery tour of the Haystack Mountain Cheese Creamery during lunch along with a nice sampling of their award-winning cheeses.
Day Two (Aug. 19): Intermediate Cheeses 9:00 – 3:00
- Intro to Pressed & Aged Cheeses: Queso Fresco & Guido’s Italian Hard Cheese
- Mold-Ripened Cheeses: Brie & Camembert
- Washed-Curd Cheeses: Colby, Havarti & Gouda
We’ll end this day with a tour of Briar Gate Farm, a small local dairy goat farm.
Day Three (Aug. 20): Advanced Cheeses & Aging Techniques 9:00 – 3:00
- Cheddar: From Curds to Pressed & Aged
- Affinage Tips, Tools & Techniques: Learn the methods and ingredients need to make Washed Rind cheeses, Blue cheeses, and Alpine (Swiss) cheeses, along with tips for aging including:
- How to set up an aging facility (aka “cheese cave”)
- Ripening boxes & mats, creating “micro climates” in your cheese cave
- Seven ways to age you cheeses: natural rind, waxing, bandaging, vacuum sealing, rubbing, oiling, smoking.
We’ll end this day by taking a field trip to nearby Cheese Importers.
Attend one day of this bootcamp and you’ll receive a Bronze Level Certification; two days get Silver; and attend all three to receive your Gold!
Day Two Only: $150 – REGISTER HERE
All Three Days: $395 (save $55) – Register Here
Our next 3-day Bootcamp is Oct. 27 – 29 – REGISTER HERE FOR OCT.
If you’re coming from out of town, visit out About Longmont page to learn about hotels, restaurants and other nearby attractions.
We have a special arrangement with one of Longmont’s newest hotels, Candlewood Suites. Use the corporate i.d. 786848202 to receive 15% off any of their rooms. Or call them at 303-485-1950 and ask for The Art of Cheese rate.